No equipment needed for this quick and easy thigh exercises workout and you don’t even need to get down on the floor. All you need is a wall for support.
This workout targets the muscles at the back and side of the upper legs.
Thigh exercises routine – Instructions
Before you do this workout, please read the general exercise safety guidelines here.
Although this isn’t a high intensity workout and only uses body weight as resistance, the exercises take the muscles and joints further than their normal ranges of movements, so it’s best to give them a quick warm-up. For more about warm-up see this post.
For the side raise:
- Have one hand on the wall for support
- Make sure you are standing straight (not bending forward), with the butt pulled under your body
- Lift and lower the leg to the side, making sure it is in line with the body – as if you were standing in a very narrow space between 2 walls
- This is just a warm-up – only take the foot to about 6 inches from the floor
For the leg lift behind
- Have both hands on the wall for support
- Make sure that you stand straight and don’t arch the low back
- Lift the foot a few inches from the floor and lower
Do each lift 10 times to warm up
The number of reps for each day are given on the workout chart – see below for a link to the download.
Side leg raises
Raises: With one hand on the wall for support, lift the leg as high as you can while still keeping good posture (as in the warm-up).
Pulses: this time hold the leg lifted to the side and pulse from here – small movement only.
Leg extension behind
Raises: both hands on the wall for support. Lift one leg up behind, as high as you can without arching the lower back.
Pulses: hold the leg lifted and pulse from here. Small movements and, as before, make sure the lower back isn’t arching.
Get a printable download of the challenge
Sign up for The Fit Look newsletter and get access to all subscriber only content, including this chart. After you submit the sign up box, you’ll get an e-mail asking you for a one-click confirmation of your subscription. Once you’ve confirmed, you’ll get a second e-mail with a link to the subscriber only content and a password to access it.