This workout focuses on training the muscles at the tops of your legs, to lift and shape your butt. It’s a strength circuit, with one aerobic interval at the end of the circuit. The circuit includes 3 of the best glute exercises – side leg lifts, hip extensions and squats – plus a cardio interval.
Download a printable PDF of this workout and get access to all subscriber only content
All the instructions are below, but for easy reference you can download this printable PDF. Sign up for The Fit Look newsletter and get access to all subscriber only downloads, including the printable chart for the Best Glute Exercises Circuit.
After you sign up, you’ll get 2 e-mails:
The first will ask you for a one-click confirmation of your subscription.
Once you’ve confirmed, you’ll get a second e-mail with a link to all the subscriber only content and a password to access it.
Already a subscriber? Here’s the link to the downloads page.
Best glute exercises – instructions
Side leg raise
- Stand sideways to the wall and put one hand on it for support
- Make sure you are standing straight (not bending forward), with your butt pulled under your body
- Lift your leg out to the side, making sure it is in line with your body – as if you were standing in a very narrow space between 2 walls. Take your leg as high as you can without leaning over. Lower and repeat
- Have both hands on the wall for support
- Make sure that you stand straight and don’t arch your low back
- Take one leg out behind you, and flex your foot, so that only your toes are touching the floor
- Lift your leg as high as you can without arching your back.
- Lower your leg back down, until your toes touch the floor behind you. Then repeat.
- Have your feet a little more than hip distance apart, parallel or slightly turned out
- Make sure your knees don’t go any further forward than your toes
- Aim to get your thighs parallel with the floor and then come up again
- Straighten up gently, don’t jerk your knees backwards
- Avoid arching your back or rounding your shoulders
- Keep your neck in line with your spine
- Raise your arms overhead
- Lower your arms as you lift one knee
- Raise your arms as you lower the knee
- Lower your arms as you lift the other knee
- Continue for 30 seconds
How to do the circuit
The format is that you do one set of leg lifts, followed by a set of squats. After you’ve done all 4 sets of leg lifts and squats, there’s an aerobic interval. Once you’ve done this, start again for a second set.
Exercise safety and warming up
Please read these general guidelines before doing this workout. You should also do this short warm to prepare your muscles and joints.
Pin this for later
Other leg workouts you might like