No equipment needed for this quick and easy thigh exercises workout and you don’t even need to get down on the floor. All you need is a wall for support.
This workout targets the muscles at the back and side of the upper legs.
Thigh exercises routine – Instructions
Before you do this workout, read the general exercise safety guidelines here.
Although this isn’t a high intensity workout and only uses body weight as resistance, the exercises take the muscles and joints further than their normal ranges of movements, so it’s best to give them a quick warm-up. For more about warm-up see this post.
Do one set of 10 on each leg of both exercises, then repeat.
For the side raise:
- Have one hand on the wall for support
- Make sure you are standing straight (not bending forward), with the butt pulled under your body
- Lift and lower the leg to the side, making sure it is in line with the body – as if you were standing in a very narrow space between 2 walls
- This is just a warm-up – only take the foot to about 6 inches from the floor
For the hip extension
- Have both hands on the wall for support
- Make sure that you stand straight and don’t arch the low back
- Lift the foot a few inches from the floor and lower
Side leg exercises
Side leg raise: With one hand on the wall for support, lift the leg as high as you can while still keeping good posture (as in the warm-up). Do a set of 20 then change to the other leg
Side leg pulses: this time hold the leg lifted to the side and pulse from here – small movement only. 20 reps then do the other leg.
Side leg circles: hold the leg lifted to the side and make small circles, 10 clockwise and 10 anti-clockwise. Then change legs. Make sure you stay strong and lifted in the upper body.
Hip extension exercises
Hip extension: both hands on the wall for support. Lift one leg up behind, as high as you can without arching the lower back. 20 reps then change legs
Hip extension pulses: hold the leg lifted and pulse from here. Small movements and, as before, make sure the lower back isn’t arching. 20 reps and change
Hamstring curl: Keeping the leg in a lifted position, bend and extend at the knee. The thigh should not move. 20 and change legs.
Thigh exercises on Etsy
Work all your thigh muscles with this set of 3 leg and butt challenges, available from the Fit Look Etsy shop.